Mondelez International Accelerates Action on Climate Change With New 2020 Global Sustainability Goals
- Adopts science-based targets to reduce absolute manufacturing CO2 emissions
- Addresses deforestation in key agricultural programs and as progress is made on the ground will publicly report on end-to-end carbon footprint reduction
- Water reduction goal focuses on manufacturing sites where water is most scarce
- Plans to eliminate another 65,000 tonnes of packaging material and reduce manufacturing waste by 20 percent by 2020
DEERFIELD, Ill., Oct. 21, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mondelēz International (NASDAQ:MDLZ) today announced its sustainability goals for 2020, an ambitious end-to-end approach to reduce its carbon footprint. The new goals include reducing absolute carbon dioxide emissions from manufacturing in line with science-based targets; reducing deforestation within its agricultural supply chain; focusing water-reduction efforts in high-priority locations; and eliminating packaging material. By leveraging its position as the world's largest snack company and focusing where it can make the greatest impact, Mondelēz International continues to build on its heritage of leadership in sustainability.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/460deabf-a645-479b-8386-5c963893364f
"Our Sustainability 2020 goals place us at the forefront of the fight against climate change and support our ambition to be the leader in well-being snacks, while reducing costs and generating efficiencies that accelerate our growth," said Hubert Weber, Executive Vice President and President of Mondelez Europe. "In 2014, we were a year ahead of schedule in accomplishing our 2015 goals for packaging, greenhouse gas emissions and net waste. These new goals take our commitment a step forward using the power of our global resources and partners to drive meaningful change at scale."
Working with leading organizations, the new goals focus on reducing key end-to-end environmental impacts — from the field through distribution. By 2020*, the company will:
- Reduce its carbon footprint by:
* Adopting science-based targets to reduce absolute CO2 emissions from manufacturing by 15 percent. This aligns with current approaches to setting science-based targets to support the global effort to limit climate change to less than 2º C. The company is also switching from reporting emissions per tonne to a more demanding absolute basis; and
* Addressing deforestation within the company's key agriculture supply chains, primarily in cocoa and palm oil. The company will measure and report publicly the resulting end-to-end carbon footprint reduction.
- Cut its water footprint by reducing absolute incoming water use in manufacturing, focusing on priority sites where water is most scarce. The company aims for 10 percent reduction at those priority sites.
- Reduce waste by eliminating 65,000 tonnes of packaging, without contributing to food waste; and
- Reduce total manufacturing waste by 20 percent.
To secure key raw materials and support smallholder livelihoods, Mondelēz International will continue to invest and expand its signature Cocoa Life program to empower 200,000 cocoa farmers in six key origins. Ultimately, the company aims to source all of its cocoa sustainably, mainly via Cocoa Life. It will also maintain its European Harmony wheat program and go beyond this by creating a global approach to wheat.
"Our Sustainability 2020 initiatives on energy, water and waste reduction will improve efficiency and create the fuel to accelerate growth. The goals also support our cocoa and wheat programs to ensure we have a sustainable supply of these key raw materials," added Weber.
The goals announced today are a part of Mondelēz International's Call for Well-being, a call to action focused on four areas that are critical to the well-being of the world and where the company can make the greatest impact: sustainability, mindful snacking, communities, and safety.
*By 2020 vs 2013 baseline: Mondelēz International's first full year of operations
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MDLZ) is a global snacking powerhouse, with pro forma 2014 revenue of more than $30 billion. Creating delicious moments of joy in 165 countries, Mondelēz International is a world leader in biscuits, chocolate, gum, candy and powdered beverages, with billion-dollar brands such as Oreo, LU and Nabisco biscuits; Cadbury, Cadbury Dairy Milk and Milka chocolate; Trident gum and Tang powdered beverages. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor's 500, NASDAQ 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ.
The photo is also available at Newscom, www.newscom.com, and via AP PhotoExpress.
Contact: Valerie Moens +1 847 943 5678 firstname.lastname@example.org