Mondelēz International Delivers Strong Progress Against its Sustainable and Mindful Snacking Goals
- Achieves goal of 15 percent net revenue from portion control snacks ahead of target
- Strong progress against 2020 sustainable agriculture and environmental impact
- Outlines 2025 sustainable and mindful snacking goals
DEERFIELD, Ill., May 14, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mondelēz International today published its 2018 Impact Progress Report, announcing significant progress against its 2020 Impact Goals. The report highlights how the world’s leading snacking company met a major well-being target, achieving 15 percent of net revenue from portion control snacks, two years ahead of expectations. The significant progress Mondelēz International continues to deliver against its Impact goals demonstrates the company’s mission to lead the future of snacking by creating snacks the right way for both people and planet.
The report also describes advancements against Mondelēz International’s 2020 sustainable agriculture and environmental footprint goals to combat deforestation while protecting land rights and human rights and scale these efforts in areas where they can have the greatest positive impact. In addition to sourcing 43 percent of cocoa for Chocolate brands through the company’s signature cocoa sustainability program, Cocoa Life, in 2018, the company has continued to play a significant role in creating a sustainable palm oil supply chain by accelerating action against plantation companies contributing to deforestation.
“We believe that consumers should not have to choose between snacking and eating right, or to worry about the impact their snacking choices have on the world and their communities,” said Dirk Van de Put, Chairman and CEO of Mondelēz International. “Our company is playing a significant role in making snacking both sustainable and mindful by creating a future where people and planet thrive, and evolving our portfolio to inspire mindful snacking habits. I’m proud of our progress in 2018, particularly in well-being snacks where we were able to reach a major goal ahead of schedule.”
Mondelēz International focuses its efforts on areas where it can have the greatest impact and drive meaningful change at scale in sustainability and mindful snacking. Following are highlights of the company’s 2018 progress:
- Sustainable Snacking: creating a future where people and planet thrive by creating resilient ingredient supply chains, reducing environmental impact and developing zero-net waste packaging.
▪ Maintained 100 percent RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) palm oil goal; and challenged suppliers to act faster to eliminate deforestation, with 12 upstream suppliers excluded as a result of breaches.
▪ Reduced absolute CO2 emissions from manufacturing by 10 percent.
▪ Reduced our incoming water usage by 22 percent at locations where water is most scarce.
▪ Reduced total waste in manufacturing by 13 percent.
▪ Eliminated 59,600 metric tonnes of packaging, on target to reach 2020 goal of 65,000 metrics tonnes of packaging eliminated.
▪ Scaled our sustainable wheat sourcing initiative, Harmony, to cover 100 percent of biscuit brands in the European Union by 2022.
▪ Our Cocoa Life sustainability program reached 140,000 farmers across 1,400 communities by the end of 2018. We sourced 43 percent of our cocoa for our chocolate brands, including Milka and Cadbury Dairy Milk through the program and added Milka to our beloved brands sourced fully by Cocoa Life.
▪ 18 percent of global eggs sourced were cage-free in 2018; on target to use 100 percent cage-free eggs in the U.S. and Canada by 2020 and in the rest of the world by 2025.*
* Excluding Russia, Ukraine, and China
▪ We achieved an 18 percent reduction in Total Recordable Incidents (TRIs) and 11 percent decrease in Total Incident Rate (TIR) for all our employees.
▪ Achieved our goal of ensuring 100 percent of External Manufacturers and suppliers are certified against one of the Global Food Safety Initiative Scheme.
- Mindful Snacking: rethinking the experience of snacking; evolving the product portfolio with more options; inspiring mindful snacking habits that focus on savoring each bite and mobilizing innovative partnerships for impact.
▪ Achieved our goal two years ahead of target of reaching 15 percent of our net revenue from portion control snacks, individually wrapped and 200 calories or less.
▪ Improved the nutrition and ingredient profile of our biggest selling brands, reducing sugar levels by 1 percent in Milka and Oreo and reduced saturated fat by 1 percent and sodium by 0.9 percent across the global portfolio.
▪ Allocated 95 percent of our $50 million investment to healthy lifestyle community partnerships, impacting the lives of 1.5 million children across 18 countries by increasing their nutrition knowledge, providing opportunities for physical activity and access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
Mondelēz International remains committed to using its global scale and focus where it can continue to make the biggest difference and has outlined its 2025 Impact Goals, providing a clear roadmap for the years ahead. The goals include:
- Reducing our environmental impact by committing to make all packaging recyclable by 2025.
- Scaling our Cocoa Life sustainability program even further so that by 2025, all chocolate brands will source their cocoa from Cocoa Life.
- Minimizing food waste, end-to-end CO2 emissions and priority water usage by 2025.
- Growing portion-control products to 20 percent of global net revenue by 2025.
- Including portion amounts and mindful snacking information on all packages globally by 2025.
- Growing Snack Futures to contribute $100 million USD to our revenue by 2022.
- Creating and continuing to invest in community resiliency and wellbeing through Mondelēz International Foundation programs and partnerships.
For the full report, or to read the at-a-glance summary please see below:
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) empowers people to snack right in approximately 150 countries around the world. With 2018 net revenues of approximately $26 billion, MDLZ is leading the future of snacking with iconic global and local brands such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milka and Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor’s 500, Nasdaq 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com, follow the company on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ or Dirk Van de Put at https://twitter.com/dirkvandeput.